Tutorial 2

 Tutorial 2.1

In this tutorial I was tasked with creating a game where the character could fire projectiles at animals. To begin a created a new Unity project which I called Prototype 2. Then downloaded the assets from the unity store. After that I then dragged the 3 animals and the farmer and the piece of food into the hierarchy and adjusted their position and scale accordingly. Then I created a C# script folder in the assets folder, which I named PlayerController and attached the script to the farmer, which I renamed player. I then opened up the script and added a few lines of code. Then I set the speed that the player could travel and allowed him to travel from side to side. Then I made it so that the player had to stay in between a set limit which kept him from leaving the screen. After that I then decide that I should clean up some of the code by first replacing the hardcoded values with a variable called xRange, what this meant was that for whenever a specific value is wanted to be used I can simply say that such a value is equal to xRange and that lets the computer know what I'm asking of it, for example xRange = 10, so if the line of code -xRange shows up I know it means -10. To finish off I added some lines of comments to better make my code more easily understood.

Picture of my work


Tutorial 2.2

In this tutorial I was tasked with making the food be able to move and fly in a straight line. To start I created a new C# script called MoveForword, which I then attached to the food object from the hierarchy. I then wrote a few lines of code so that the food was now able to travel forward, I then tested it out by setting the speed in the inspector. After that I created a new Prefabs folder where I dragged the food into it, afterwards I opened up the PlayerController.cs and made it so that I was now able to drag the food into the scene while it was playing and that it would immediately fly of the screen. Back in the PlayerController.cs I added an if statement, which meant that if specific conditions were met, that a certain outcome would occur, by that I mean if the spacebar was pressed, that a piece of food would be fired and continue of the screen. To finish off my ability to fire a piece of food when the spacebar was pressed, I also had to include an Instantiate method inside of the if statement. Next, I clicked on all of the animals present on the screen and moved them into a more suitable position, I then turned them 180 degrees so that they were facing the farmer. I then changed the speed of the animals, put them in the prefab folder and tested to see if the code that I had previously entered was working by dragging the animals on to the screen. I then needed to have the animals and food be destroyed once they exited the screen, so I wrote down the code to do so and then it worked.

Tutorial 2.3

In this tutorial I was tasked with creating a random stampede of animals that would appear with the touch of a button. To start I created an empty object called SpawnManager in the hierarchy. Then create a new script called SpawnManager and attach to SpawnManager then open it. In SpawnManager I added the code to make an array that matched the number of animals that I had. Next, I added an if statement that allowed me to instantiate a new animal prefab if I pressed S. After testing to see if it worked I soon realised that the only problem with my work was that all of the animals kept on spawning I the same spot, so instead of being a stampede, it was more of a hectic line. So to solve this problem I decide to go back into the SpawnManager.cs and replace some of the values which where already down with the line Random.Range(-20, 20), which basically tells the computer that the animals will spawn on the line anywhere between -20 to 20. Then I had to change the camera perspective so that I could view the animals from a top down view, but also so that they appeared 2D from the top down.

Picture of finished work

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

Game Idea Research

Game Brainstorm